Wide Open Agriculture Limited (ASX: WOA)(“WOA” or the “Company”)is pleased to announce the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (“CSIRO”) has been contracted by WOA to provide research services to scale-up Curtin University’s novel protein extraction process from lupin seeds.
CSIRO is Australia’s national science agency and works with leading research and industry organisations around the world. From its headquarters in Canberra, CSIRO maintains more than 50 sites across Australia, France, Chile, Singapore and the United States, employing around 6,400 people.
WOA and Curtin University will work closely with CSIRO’s Food Innovation Centre and utilise its pilot-plant food processing facilities to assist and accelerate the scale up process of extracting protein from lupin. Initially, CSIRO will produce food-grade lupin protein isolate using small-scale industrial processing equipment.
WOA and Curtin University will then evaluate the functionality and quality attributes of the lupin protein and begin a development program to investigate alternative meat, milk, egg and gluten-free products. WOA will conduct in-house product development and explore commercial partnerships with global food companies. CSIRO will also undertake a techno-economic assessment for future commercial production viability and provide guidance on scaling up the production of lupin protein isolate.
The innovation project has received matched dollar-for-dollar grant funding from the Industry Growth Centre – Food Innovation Australia Ltd. (FIAL). FIAL is an industry-led, not-for-profit organisation focused on growing the share of Australian food in the global marketplace.
Wide Open Agriculture’s Managing Director, Dr Ben Cole said: “Securing CSIRO for this project is a fantastic achievement. Having access to their advanced facilities and extensive expertise will allow us to accelerate and improve the production process and maintain a first mover advantage in lupin-based protein products. The outcomes of this project will assist WOA to establish a viable commercial product which can compete with today’s leading plant-based proteins.”
KEY MATERIAL TERMS OF THE RESEARCH AGREEMENT
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (“CSIRO”) has been contracted by WOA to provide research services to scale-up Curtin University’s novel protein extraction process from lupin seeds
- The objective of this project is to utilise CSIRO’s Food Innovation Centre’s pilot plant to scale up the laboratory scale process that the client has developed and provide samples (10-15kg of food grade protein isolate) to allow for functional and sensory evaluation
- WOA and Curtin University will evaluate the functionality and the quality attributes and conduct in-house testing
- The total cost of the project is $115,000 AUD (ex GST)
- WOA is committed to funding a total of $57,500 (ex GST)
- The remaining $57,500 (ex GST) will be met through receipt of funding from the Industry Growth Centre – Food Innovation Australia Ltd. (FIAL).
Full Announcement on the ASX link here